08 June 2012

Things get interesting...

   It seems my truck doesn't like having a Chevy in the garage. Now it won't start! My truck is an '05 Super Duty with the 6.0 Powerstroke. I've done some troubleshooting and some research. Here's what I have learned: the 6.0 Powerstroke is the diesel equivalent of mid 70's gasoline "emissions" engine.

   Any one remember the awesome American muscle cars prior to the mid seventies? And then how the performance all of the sudden started sucking? Similar thing with this engine. Around 2000 the EPA and other agencies decided to really ratchet down on diesel engines in consumer vehicles. For a while diesels didn't need catalytic converters like their gasoline counterparts, and all was well. Between 2000 and 2010 everything has changed for these diesels though. Now manufacturers spend as much money on developing exhaust and emissions treating systems as the do for the diesel engine its self. If you were to buy a new diesel truck it's like your paying for two engines.

   I love my truck. It's almost exactly what I was looking for when bought it seven years ago. I have had to fix some things but when you treat it like I do that is expected. The rest of the Powerstroke family all seem like good engines that is the 7.3, 6.4, and the 6.7. However the 6.0 like the one in my truck has more than its share of problems. And they are all a result of knee-jerk emissions requirements.

   As stated earlier, I have done some troubleshooting on it and believe I have narrowed the problem down to a high pressure oil leak. I will start tearing into the engine this weekend in hopes that I can find the leak and fix it my self.

   In other news, here are a few teaser pics for other things I've been working on:



No comments:

Post a Comment